Monday 9 January 2012

3 song covers I prefer to the original

Everyone goes on about how terrible covers of their favourite songs are.  And usually, they are.  I die a little bit each time some idiot little boy band tries to copy some of the music legends and basically hung myself when I listened to Kerrang's CD of Nirvana covers, but sometimes, SOMETIMES, I prefer the cover versions to the original.  Of course, this is a matter of taste but as many of you know, I consider my taste in stuff to be far superior.  I joke (sort of).  So here are three covers of famous songs that I prefer listening to, along with the originals so you can compare.  I won't be surprised if people don't actually listen to the songs all the way through because I wouldn't but whatever, this is more an attempt to put off revision.  So enjoy!  And of course, this is my OPINION.  I know a lot of people who would crucify me for my choices but hey, free country.

3.  (Original) Hurt - Nine Inch Nails or NIN to hardcore fans...which I'm not.  Oh and Nine Inch Nails is one guy, not a band, which I found interesting when I found out.  Fun fact.



(Cover) Hurt - Johnny Cash



I'd even go as far to say that I actually dislike the first version...it's just so boring.  And the video for Johnny Cash's one is fantastic, it honestly brings a tear to my eye.  Yes ladies, I am sensitive.  Please form an orderly queue to the right.

2.  (Original)  The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie



(Cover) The Man Who Sold the World -Nirvana (live)



I think David Bowie is fantastic.  I really do.  But it's Kurt fucking Cobain.  Kurt Cobain.  Sorry, I'm getting a bit flustered.  He's just unbelievable.  I'm probably bias because of my love for Nirvana but whatever: opinion, remember?

1.  (Original)  Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin



(Cover)  Immigrant Song - Karen O with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross



I put this at number one, not because it is my favourite out of the three (it's probably my least favourite) but because people will be like 'OMFG U R MESSIN WIT DAH ZEP' etc etc.  I prefer this version, just because it's fucking cool and I've picked the video because the video is equally 'fucking cool'.  Funnily, Trent Reznor IS Nine Inch Nails (remember how I said it was just one guy) and I voted Johnny Cash's version of his own song better.  So, swings and roundabouts I guess.

Well there you go.  Don't crucify me please.  Hope you enjoyed listening to the awesome songs (especially the Nirvana one).
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment